Saturday, January 16, 2010

Motivation

Motivating students seems to be easy when they hear that this class is about blogging and the wiki. Once the class starts into imagining the game and researching the topic it becomes harder to stay motivated. This is when my lead educators and I help our students connect the research to their own lives. When students see the connection to the real world, and that they can gain an advantage from knowing their rights and responsibilities as American citizens, they become more motivated.


This year we need to find ways to motivate them to design their games. We will be able to show them examples of what other students have done. This might show them that other students their age did it before them and they can be successful too.

2 comments:

  1. I agree motivation is easy when we introduce blogging and wiki pages. The girls love to customize their pages and any opportunity we give them to give their opinions and ideas they jump on it. Then we start Flash and the motivation level significantly drops. So, Natascha what motivating ideas do you have for Dionne and I?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me think about that some more. I have to motivate myself about working on that stuff too. I think it will motivate them if we talk about the contest for Civics games and that they can show the finished project around and be proud of it. I don't know if many of them would use it in a job application. Maybe we could get an internal award with a judging by staff for the best game, and they could win a dinner plus a movie with a friend and some free phone calls for 2nd and 3rd place. I think that sounds good.

    ReplyDelete